One guy's thoughts on life, love, faith and his world

Monday, May 24, 2010

Inch by Inch and Row by Row

I don't know if any of you are familiar with the song, but it's a song that used to play at my house when I was younger. It's one of those songs that brings back memories and although I don't recall the name of the song, I do remember how the chorus went.

Inch by inch and row by row,
Gonna make this garden grow,
All it takes is a rake and hoe,
And a piece of fertile ground.

I started humming the tune the other day while I was in my garden pulling weeds, ironically enough. This is the first summer that I have had a vegetable garden of my own and to be honest, I don't think this blog has enough room for me to discuss my garden at length. Let's just say that if there is ever a time where you would like to talk about my garden, feel free to give me a call. Be sure, however, that you leave yourself a good hour to talk about it.

After I was done pulling weeds and talking to my plants (I mean, uh, I hope I didn't say that out loud) I got to thinking how the characteristics of a good garden are very similar to the characteristics of trying to live a good life.

For example, a good garden needs good, fertile soil from which to grow. A solid foundation if you will. Similarly, a solid foundation of values and morals is necessary for a good life.

A strong garden needs sunlight to for it grow while a good life needs a guiding light to grow.

If you are growing a garden and are not careful, weeds can overtake the plants stunting growth and, quite possibly suffocating the garden. Can't the same be said about our lives?

What about the goal of a garden? Isn't the goal of a garden to give good fruits and vegetables for others? Interestingly enough, isn't the goal of leading a good life to give back to others as well?

If you're thinking of growing a garden, think of that song. Maybe it will help draw some comparisons for you and maybe it will help that garden grow. And talking to your plants, well, that doesn't hurt either. And there's No Bonz About It!

1 comment: