One guy's thoughts on life, love, faith and his world

Monday, May 14, 2012

Son-shine


Everyone has times in their life where things aren’t very clear.  Things get messy, foggy and cloudy.  Similarly, Mother Nature does the same thing and JUSTLIKETHAT, Mother Nature makes a clearing in the clouds with a ray of sunshine and even sometimes a rainbow.  Suddenly, everything is crystal clear – no more clouds, no more rain, just sunny skies.  Even if that moment goes away in an instant, the moment happened, the light is there and it shines.  Maybe it’s for a second, maybe it’s for an entire day.

The important thing is we recognize those moments when they do happen.  Perhaps even more importantly, we realize who we are with when the sun breaks through the clouds whether they are with us physically, in spirit or wish they were there in person with us.  I was blessed to have one of those moments recently where everything became transparent.

Being Catholic, First Communion is a major event because of what we believe as a community of faith.  I made my First Communion when I was in second grade and I’d be lying if I said I remembered a lot of it.  I knew it was important, probably because everyone said it was.  As an adult, I understand now what it means.

My ray of light came because I watched my oldest son take his First Communion and I was with some very important people in my life.  Long story short, seeing the process Emerson went through and realizing who I was with made everything come into focus.  

I couldn’t help but think of the scene in A Few Good Men when Jack Nicholson’s character asks Tom Cruise’s character “Am I clear?” and Cruise answers simple, yet poignantly – “Crystal.”  Emerson’s experience, and my experience through him, made everything crystal clear.  

Looking around, I was with family and friends, some Catholic and some not, but all a family in Christ.  Isn’t that what it’s all about though?  The celebration of love with loved ones gathered at His table?
I saw how meaningful it was to my son and I was reminded how meaningful it is for me.  I can’t help but think that’s what God’s plan is.  He wants us to see His Son in others and what better way to do it than having us see Him in our own everyday life, with our own family.

We were blessed with a beautiful, sunny day but even if it was cloudy, His Son shines through the clouds every day.

We just have to look for that Son-shine and we’ll find His rainbow.

No comments:

Post a Comment